Party Bag Etiquette – Some ‘Dos’ (and a few ‘Don’ts’)
The party’s drawing to a close, the kids have done with running around, pinning tails on donkeys, playing musical statues (it’s tough to keep still when you’re say, 5, isn’t it?) and they are beginning to line up just in front of you, looking expectant. What are they after? Party bags of course! Whether we like it or not they are considered de rigeur at any party today. But they don’t have to be outrageously expensive, or time consuming, to put together. Here are some hints and tips to help keep things simple, fair and, importantly, on budget.
- Who do you give party bags to? It’s good practice to prepare a bag for each child who attends the party, but also polite to prepare one for a child who couldn’t attend but still gives your child a gift. Maybe have a couple of spares, or simpler/smaller bags to give out to siblings who may pop along at the end. It’s not completely necessary, but will keep everyone happy….including parents who won’t be involved in the whole sharing battle on the way home, with tired-out party children to attend to.
- Do you prepare one for your own child? That’s entirely up to you, but it may be tricky not to. It’s their party, after all. Some may say they will be receiving plenty of gifts that day anyway, but it’s certainly more inclusive to prepare one for them too. If you have kept the costs down and stuck to your budget, one extra bag won’t cost much more in the scale of things.
- What should I include in party bags? This is the tricky one. Some bags contain one larger gift, some lots of little items such as stretchy men, some are chock full of sweets. There are masses of small toys and fillers available to fill your bags. We have a wide selection available at https://www.partybagsandsupplies.co.uk/party-bags-fillers. Or choose from ready filled bags, and take the decision making process away at a time where there’s plenty of decisions to make, anyway. Whatever you decide, don’t be tempted to go too overboard! Most of us have been in the position, occasionally, where the party bag gift is more impressive than the gift you gave to the birthday boy or girl. The party, or loot bag, is just a token – a way of saying ‘thank you for coming to my party and for giving me a gift’.
- Do I tailor the bags to an individual child, or make them generic? From a time point of view (and there’s always plenty to do when planning a party, after all!) choosing generic fillers for your bags is the simplest option. If you have both boys and girls attending the party maybe have boy’s bags and girl’s bags ready to hand out.
- If your party has a theme it’s a cool idea to follow through with the party bags. Disney Princesses, or Pirates, say. We have a wide selection of themed party bags to choose from to keep things on track budget-wise, and simple for you! https://www.partybagsandsupplies.co.uk/party-bags-fillers
- Your bags can be boxes, or they can be plain. One nice activity to give the children as they arrive at the party and before the main festivities begin is to give them a plain bag, some pens or crayons and ask them to decorate their own bag to be collected (magically filled with goodies) at the end of the party.
Please share your party bag hints and tips with us in the space below.